Part-Time Faculty - Biological Sciences
Full Job Description
Salary: $59.04 - $83.09 Hourly
Job Type: Continuous Posting
Job Number: 2021 - PTFAC - Biological Sci
Location: Ukiah, CA
Department: Part-Time Faculty
Mendocino College is currently accepting applications for Part-Time, Temporary Faculty in various disciplines. We seek diverse, equity- minded candidates who bring new perspectives and experiences to enrich our educational community. Please review our District Mission, Goals, and Values at the following website: MLCCD - Mission, Goals, Values
The District serves students throughout Lake and Mendocino Counties and Online. The main campus is located in Ukiah, CA; with centers locations in Lakeport, CA; Willits, CA; Fort Bragg, CA; and online. We look forward to reviewing your application.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
The Mendocino-Lake Community College District is committed to employing qualified administrators, faculty, and staff members who are dedicated to student success and to recruiting and hiring persons from diverse backgrounds. Diversity in the academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for all students including first generation students, underrepresented students, and students of color. The District strives to employ and retain faculty, staff and administrative personnel who promote a positive learning environment and are well prepared to serve our increasingly diverse student population.
Mendocino College takes active steps to ensure equal employment opportunity and to create a diverse work and academic environment that is welcoming and inclusive for all.
Mendocino-Lake Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Assignments are made on a part-time, hourly contract basis. A part-time faculty assignment may not exceed a total of 67% of an annual full-time assignment. Salary is determined by the total contract hours. Hourly contract rate is dependent on qualifications ($59.04 - $83.09) . Compensation for assigned classes is paid over the duration of the semester.
Please see the current salary schedule at: MLCCD - Salary Schedule
Benefits: The College offers a Bronze level benefit plan at the cost of the employee.
Paid Time Off: Sick leave is earned based on teaching load percentage.
Retirement: This position may be eligible for CalSTRS Retirement
ABOUT OUR COLLEGE
Established in 1973, Mendocino College, a Hispanic Serving Institution, is a vibrant and inclusive academic community, rich in culture, creativity, diversity, and technology. A fully accredited two- year community college, the District serves more than 6,500 students across four locations in the greater parts of Lake and Mendocino Counties. Complete with a friendly small-campus academic setting and a respectfully collaborative work environment, Mendocino College prepares students for a future of innovation and success.
The beautifully landscaped main campus is located in Ukiah, California. With views of oak- covered hills, sprawling vineyards, and distant mountains, the 127-acre campus is equipped with a state-of-the-art Library/Learning Center, high-tech Nursing Facility, and Student Center.
The college operates three fully equipped centers in Fort Bragg, Lakeport, and Willits, conveniently providing our valued students with quality instruction, academic support and administrative services in neighboring communities.
With a comprehensive curriculum and engaging instruction, Mendocino College provides a wide variety of degree, certificate, transfer, occupational, and basic skills programs.
Mendocino College students learn in a nurturing and supportive environment enhanced by small- sized classes, personalized academic advising, and several hundred dedicated faculty and staff.
ABOUT OUR COMMUNITIES
Mendocino and Lake Counties include some of California's most picturesque landscape. Because of the geographic location, climate, and natural beauty, Mendocino and Lake Counties attract many visitors. Agriculture, timber, and tourism industries form the economic base of the area with some light manufacturing. Mendocino and Lake Counties have a long and colorful history as a premium grape-growing region within the state's famous North Coast wine country. A relaxed and friendly lifestyle is characteristic of our communities.
Recreational opportunities abound for water skiing, swimming, fishing, boating, sailing, camping, hiking, tennis, and golf.
Check out the local visitor guides to find out more: Mendocino County & Lake County
Mendocino College welcomes applications from all qualified candidates who demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of our community college students.
The successful candidate will support student success by providing instructional support and institutional collaboration. This includes the following duties and/or assignments:
- Instructs the full range of courses offered indiscipline applied for;
- Conducts classes and finals as included in the schedule of classes;
- Prepares classroom presentations, student activities, and assignments;
- Teaches class hours; evaluates students' performance based on quizzes, exams, projects, comprehensive finals and/or other assessments appropriate to the course outline;
- Teaches courses in accordance with the description published in the catalog, the course outline, and the schedule of classes;
- Prepares a syllabus for each course and distributes it to students at the first class meeting and/or electronically;
- Reports on time and prepared for classes; Posts and maintains student contact hours;
- Maintains current knowledge of the discipline and teaching practices; and Prepares and submits accurate and timely student reports.
Areas of teaching interest include, but are not limited to teaching, Human Biology (BIO-202), Human Anatomy (BIO-230, Human Physiology (BIO-231), and Microbiology (BIO-259).
Must meet all Minimum Qualifications Requirements for discipline applied for.
Master's in any biological science
Bachelor's in any biological science AND Master's in biochemistry, biophysics, or marine science OR the equivalent
The minimum qualifications handbook with the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office may be viewed at: CCCCO Minimum Qualifications for Faculty and Administration
Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, geographic, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Must meet Human Resources guidelines for qualified hiring; including by not limited to a Live Scan background check and completion of TB test.
KNOWLEDGE OF: Current theories of biological sciences, and related teaching practices; and familiarity with community college mission.
ABILITY TO: Effectively instruct assigned courses using a variety of techniques and methods of delivery; evaluate and develop curriculum and instructional materials; assess student academic progress; maintain records; consistently communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, and work collaboratively with colleagues in the department and across the district; teach at variable locations and hours, including evenings, weekends and online.
Through the online portal CLICK HERE TO ACCESS PORTAL , submit the following documents:
1. Completed online application;
2. A cover letter that succinctly addresses how your experience and professional qualifications prepare you for this position; including how you apply diversity, equity, and inclusion practices in your instruction or student engagement.
3. Resume/CV including education, experience, professional organizations, and accomplishments;
4. List three (3) professional or academic references who can speak to your qualifications for the position and their contact information (personal references will not be accepted);
5. Photocopies of all transcripts; a foreign transcript evaluation must be attached if applicable. Official copies of transcripts are required upon employment;
6. If meeting the state mandated minimum qualifications based on equivalency, complete the MLCCD equivalency application and include all supporting documents. Applications and instructions found at: MLCCD Equivalency Form and Instructions
IMPORTANT NOTES ON APPLICATION PROCEDURE
- All application materials must be received before 11:59 pm on the closing date above;
- Only completed applications with the above required documents will be reviewed by the applicable Dean and/or Full-Time Faculty in the discipline;
- Application material not required for this position (including reference letters) will not be reviewed;
- Remove personally identifiable information such as personal photos, social security number, birth date, age, and gender from your application materials;
- Expenses related to the recruitment process are the responsibility of the applicant. The college does not reimburse applications for related travel expenses;
- Incomplete application packets will not be accepted; Interviews are by invitation only.
The Dean or Full-Time Faculty in the discipline will review the application pool. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an interview. A written performance exercise and/or presentation may be a part of the interview, and candidates may be invited to return for a second interview. All notifications will be via email.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
In accordance with Federal Law all employees must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States;
Must be fingerprinted through DOJ and FBI and have background clearance; Must take a TB test (once hired and every four years thereafter);
Within six (6) months of employment, must complete required District trainings such as Sexual Harassment Prevention.
Mendocino College is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of qualified applicants. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from all persons. Mendocino College does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity or race, color, sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, medical conditions, genetic conditions, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth), military or veteran status. Mendocino College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Human Resources no later than 72 hours prior to the closing date. Human Resources can be contacted at (707) 468-3065 or via email at HRRecruiting@mendocino.edu